UCN Celebrates 50th Anniversary in 2013
50 Years and On in the Barn
In 1962 a group of nine men and women gathered to form a new liberal religious fellowship on the North Shore of Milwaukee. They called themselves the North Shore Unitarian Fellowship of Milwaukee and began meeting in people's homes. In 1963 they received a charter from the UUA, and in 1969 renamed their congregation Unitarian Church North.
Since then we have grown to about 200 members, built a church home in 1986, and an addition to that home in 2005. We have been served by a full time minister since 1976 and a Director of Religious Education since 1991.
In the first half of 2013 we will celebrate our founding in January 1963, and the highlights of the subsequent half-century of faith and fellowship in our welcoming congregation.
We will celebrate by decade, beginning in January, 2013, looking back at our past 50 years:
- 1960's January
- 1970's February
- 1980's March
- 1990's April
- 2000's May/June
Each month's decade celebration will feature:
- music, food and clothing of the era
- movies of the time--7PM the first Friday evening
- one or more historically oriented sermons
- a brief summary of church activities during the decade, presented as part of a Sunday service that month
- bulletin board displays We will invite former members who were active in the congregation's life to take part as they wish.
Calendar of Anniversary Events
January, 2013 - Read the Historical Summary of UCN from the 1960's (PDF)
- Jan 4 Movie night: To Kill a Mockingbird rated PG
- Jan 13 Sermon: Rev. Julie Forest The Roots of our Heritage
- Jan 20 presentation on UCN in 60's
- Jan 27 Sermon: James Galasinski Theodore Parker
- Feb 1 Movie night: Kramer vs. Kramer rated PG
- Feb 4 Sermon: Rev. Julie Forest John Murray
- Feb 17 Sermon: James Galasinski Whitney Young
- Feb 24 presentation on UCN in 70's
- Mar 1 Movie night: E.T. the Extra- Terrestrial rated PG
- Mar 3 Rev. Brent Smith (one of our past ministers) will be preaching. We look forward to his being with us on this day.
- Mar 10 Sermon: Rev. Julie Forest Olympia Brown
- Mar 24 presentation on UCN in 80's
- Apr 19 Movie: Forrest Gump rated PG13
- Apr 7 Sermon: Rev. Julie Forest (TBA)
- Apr 14 presentation on UCN in 90's
The Grand Celebration will be held the first weekend in May, 2013, including the following:
- Saturday, May 4: Dinner and Live Music
5:30 Gathering; 6:00 Dinner
Live music by The Milwaukee Hot Club
Advance tickets required, cost TBA
- Sunday, May 5: Featured Guest Speaker Rev. Dr. John Buehrens
9:15 and 11:00 a.m. Services
"The Ministry and Mission of UCN at Fifty"
Rev. Dr. Buehrens is a former president of the UUA and author of several books including A House for Hope and Our Chosen Faith.
- Sunday, May 5, 2:00 pm: Workship by the Rev. Dr. Buehrens
Rev. Dr. Buehrens will also present a workshop on "The Next 50 years of Unitarian Universalism"
All past UCN ministers are invited for the weekend activities as are Central Midwest District staff and community leaders.
- June 2 Flower Communion
- June 7 Movie Night: Wall-E rated G