Date(s) - 08/06/2017
11:15 am - 1:30 pm
UCN Clara Barton Room
A Six-Week Adult Religious Education Course including six sermons on DVD. This course was written by Dr. Sara Zimmerman, a former member of UCN..Six ministers and lay persons offer the sermons contained in this curriculum speaking “to the real needs of people in their contemporary situation.”
Theological Perspective: “Our religious understanding of the world and our place in it must make sense in light of our contemporary scientific understanding of the universe. A long-standing principle of religious liberalism is that our religious meaning-making structures should not be isolated from the other cultural currents that flow alongside them.”
The Six Modules
- Aug. 6: Module 1: “Regarding the God Particle: If the Universe is the Answer, What is the Question?”
Presenter: Rev. Abhi Janamanchi, Senior Minister, Bethesda, MD “Does discovery of the Higgs-boson particle somehow prove that God created the world and everything in it? Or does discovery of the Higgs-boson particle prove that God doesn’t exist? A third possibility is that the discovery of the Higgs-boson particle reaffirms the interconnectedness of all that is.
- Aug. 13 Module 2: “Religion and Spirituality in Health and Well-Being”
Presenter: Dr. Nan Sook Park, Professor, School of Social Work
- Aug. 20 Module 3: “Mindful Healing” Presenter: Rev. Sam Trumbore, Buddhist
- Sept. 10 Module 4: “Spirituality, Science and Healing” Presenter Dr. Carolyn Wells, Ph.D.
- Sept. 17 Module 5: “Comfortable Misery” Dr. Jack Zak, MD
- Sept. 24 Module 6: “Good Medicine is Science, Not Technology: No Time to Listen: Dr. Earl A. Zimmerman, MD
We will meet in the Barton Room(lower level) on Sunday after service for about an hour (DVD) and a half, 30 min.) discussion starting Sunday, August 6, as time permits. Class is 90 minutes.
Please RSVP or sign up on sheet outside UCN office if you are interested in attending this series. Contact Judy Milbrath if questions: 262-376-9440 / email@example.com.