Religious Education for Children
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”
~ Frederick Douglass
Welcome to our Religious Education Program! Choosing your child’s religious education program is an important decision, just as important as choosing your own religious home. At Unitarian Church North, we take children’s spiritual, emotional, and social development seriously. We offer:
- A safe place for children and youth to wonder, ask questions, and discover.
- Exploration of themes such as Unitarian Universalist identity, world religions, peace & justice, the web of life, and social justice.
- Religious Education classes that run during our worship services.
- Meaningful, age-appropriate worship for children and youth.
- A focus on spiritual growth and faith exploration in the context of a caring community.
The purpose of Religious Education at Unitarian Church North is to nurture and minister to the children of our church community and to provide opportunities for our children and youth to actively engage in the process of forming religious beliefs and values putting them into action.
Select Religious Education News to view curriculum for 2014- 2015
Special Notes to Parents:
- Please register your child. This is the best way for us to keep in touch about activities.
- We are Cooperative program. Parents are needed to teach and assist in the classroom.
- Good behavior is expected in classes. If problems arise, parents may be called to help.
- In accordance with our Board policy, all teachers read and sign the UUA Code Ethics, as well as agree to a background check.
- Parents must accompany children on the playground at ALL times. Please remember to pick up your children from the classrooms by 11:10. Children in third grade and up are allowed to meet their families in the Fellowship Hall.
- Intergenerational Services
- Halloween Party
- Children’s Holiday Pageant
- Christmas Shopping for Families
- Easter Program & Egg Hunt
- End of Year Picnic
Unitarian Universalist Principles for Children:
- We believe that each and every person is important.
- We believe that all people should be treated fairly and kindly.
- We believe that we should accept one another and keep on learning together.
- We believe that each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.
- We believe that all persons should have a vote about the things that concern them.
- We believe in working for a peaceful, fair, and free world.
- We believe in caring for our planet Earth, the home we share with all living things.
Children & Youth Religious Education Committee
Pat Flanagan – Chair
2 Open positions
Rev. Joyce Palmer
Director of Religious Education
Director of Religious Education
Reverend Joyce Palmer is our Director of Religious Education. Rev. Palmer has extensive teaching experience and a natural gift for working with children.
Learn more about Rev. Palmer
We use email communication nearly exclusively to share information about upcoming events, special projects, class news, and volunteer scheduling. Please check your email regularly.
We require registration forms for all children and youth from Preschool through High school. Please complete the registration form with all requested information. We request a supply fee of $75.00/ child, $125 for two and $175 for three or more. The fee does not cover program expenses; it covers the cost of supplies for classroom and some special project expenses. If there is a special situation which makes it difficult to pay the full registration fee, please contact the Director of Religious Education so that arrangements can be made.
Ours is a cooperative program. The program depends on volunteer teachers, coordinators, and committee members to make it work. We are grateful to the volunteers who contribute their time and talent to the children and youth of this congregation.